The first traces of human settlements in our community go back to the Neolithic era. Excavations at the Hünenberg bathing beach uncovered two Neolithic lakeside settlements from between the 32nd and the 30th century B.C.
Early Middle Ages
In 1887, Alemannic findings (glass-bead chains, axes, spearheads, etc.) were unearthed in a graveyard at Hof Marlachen. The name Hünenberg, whichgoes back to the old German short name of Huno (Huno's mountain), must first have been used at this early medieval time.
This was the year the noble line of the Knights of Hünenberg was mentioned for the first time. This noble lineage is the most important ministerial nobility in the Canton of Zug. Their family castle stands at the south-western exit to the village. The Lords of Hünenberg managed to increase their possessions and their prestige during the 13th century.
The secure position of the Knights of Hünenberg was threatened at the beginning of the 14th century, when the peasants of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden came into conflict with the Habsburg Duke. The Battle of Morgarten took place on 15 November 1315. According to the saga, Heinrich von Hünenberg shot an arrow over the battlements at Arth with a message to warn the Schwyzers and which read, "Beware Morgarten on St. Othmar's eve". The Knights of Hünenberg drew the consequences from the political situation that further deteriorated in 1352 after Zug joined the Confederation. They transfer /their residence and moved to the town.
On 24 December of all days, troops supporting the Habsburgs crossed the Reuss, stole, plundered and burnt in the area between Hünenberg and the present-day St. Wolfgang. The Zugers, under their Mayor, Hans von Hospental, wanted to reclaim the spoils of war. The skirmish took place at the graveyard where 42 Zugers were slain, including their leader.
On 17 January 1414, the Hünenberg peasants bought themselves out of serfdom from the Knights of Hünenberg. The liberated peasants were called "Genossen" (comrades). Inhabitants who joined them later were known as "Beisassen" (residents). By 1416, the Hünenberg comrades had already realised that for their protection in uncertain times and for the administration and organisation of their widely scattered and elongated territory, they would need the help of a stronger power. So, on 21 January 1416, they concluded the Civil Rights Charter with the City of Zug under which Hünenberg became a stewardship of the City of Zug.
St. Wolfgang's church, commissioned by the City of Zug and built by Hans Felder, was inaugurated. The first chaplain of St. Wolfgang's took up residence in 1479. St. Wolfgang's subsequently developed to become a frequently visited place of pilgrimage.
St. Wolfgang's actually became a national sanctuary. St. Wolfgang's lies at the intersection of two much frequented roads. One is the trade route from Lucerne via Kappel to Zurich and the other leads from Zug to Sins. Two inns were also built at this important cross-road - the Rössli (Steed) and the Löwen (Lion) (the latter has since disappeared).
The first inner-Swiss archers' fair at St. Wolfgang's. From the whole of what then constituted the Confederation, archers streamed to the fête which was to last several days. They shot at a freely suspended target from 240 paces. The first prize amounted to 10 guilders.
A big mercenary council was held in St. Wolfgang's. It was decided, to enrol in the service of the Pope and fight against the French King Louis XII (in the Milan War).
Hitzkirch pilgrims, returning home from their pilgrimage to Einsiedeln came to grief on the Reuss. The Sins ferry capsized during the crossing and 40 people drowned. This accident prompted the Zuger to have a wooden bridge built in 1640/41.
The covered Reuss Bridge was completed in 16 months. At the same time, a toll house was built. The Reuss Bridge was the only bridge between Gisikon and Bremgarten and was therefore of strategic importance. A toll had to be paid for crossing the bridge. Oswald Wickarts served as the first toll-keeper in 1642.
The new "Wart" guild house was erected at its present location. Previously, it had stood directly above the graveyard. Meetings with the Zug Governor and the military training of the Hünenberg menfolk by Zug officers took place on the Lindenplatz which was also used for many fêtes. This is also where the Hünenbergers were to celebrate Swiss National Day in later years.
The shooting clubhouse was built in the "Wart" near Lindenplatz. This was where young Hünenbergers of military-service age were trained.
The "Wart" was destroyed by fire. All documents were lost. After being rebuilt, the "Wart" serve as a meeting-place and also later as the schoolhouse.
The toll house on the Reuss Bridge was rebuilt.
The last toll-keeper, Michael Moos, was elected by the Zug City Council.
On 11 February 1798, Hünenberg, together with other stewardships of the City of Zug, was given its freedom. On 29 April, the French advanced over the Reuss Bridge into the Zug region. Hünenberg, too, suffered greatly and sacrificed many victims. The French stole, among many other things, the silverware from the "Wart". This first onslaught was followed by a long period of occupation. No less than 580 officers and 14'814 NCOs and soldiers were billeted in Hünenberg up to March 1801.
On 1 April 1799, the Hünenberg community were allowed to vote on whether they would form an individual municipality or continue being connected with Cham. The franchise-holders decided by a big majority to separate from Cham. Franz Basil Gretener was elected first Mayor of Hünenberg. The separation meeting was held in Cham on 2 May. This is where the history of the autonomous municipality of Hünenberg begins.
Restoration of the old wooden bridge over the Reuss at Sins.
During the War of the "Sonderbund" (separatist defensive league of Roman Catholic cantons), the span of the Reuss Bridge on the right bank of the river was blown up.
The part of the bridge that had been blown up was rebuilt.
The people gathered on the Reuss Bridge in May each year for the May Market. That was also the day servants were hired for the noble homes and so they also called the market the "Maitlimarkt" (or Maids' Market) in local dialect. It was held for the last time in 1860.
The Reuss burst its banks in the Chamau district. With all its might, the water streamed over the land and transformed the area between Chamau and Reussspitz into a lake.
The sad drama recurred in June. The Reuss again burst its banks and caused considerable damage.
Work started on building a dam on the Reuss. The big stones necessary for this were recovered from the Goldauer landslide during the early stages of construction.
The new Reuss dam was completed. The cost amounted to 2 million francs. The Reuss dam has prevented the Reuss from flooding or bursting its banks to this day.
The "Wart" was restored to its present-day look. The facade was painted with a mural by Heinrich Appenzeller.
The Matten schoolhouse was built for around CHF 7'800.--. On 2 September 1934, it was solemnly inaugurated. After the lifting of the stewardship on 17 February 1798, the small hamlet of St. Wolfgang remained the territory of the City of Zug. The Zug Municipal Residents' Council, at a meeting on 30 December 1934, decided to transfer the hamlet of St. Wolfgang to the Municipality of Hünenberg at the request of the people of Hünenberg. From this point and until 1958 50% of the public revenue from the former enclave of St. Wolfgang went to the City of Zug. From 1958 on, the people of Zug give up this share of the tax, that by 1957 still amounted to CHF 624.10.
Opening of the first swimming-pool in Kemmatten on 20 June 1937.
1940 – 1944
Inauguration of the Mühlauer Bridge. This replaced the last ferry over the Reuss. Now, the road from the Mühlauer Bridge had also to be broadened up to the Stadelmatt. On 19/20 June 1940, over 12'000 Polish officers and soldiers were transferred to neutral Swiss territory. These interned Poles were accommodated in decentralised work-camps. One of the camps was also in Hünenberg. Here, a camp was built between Drälikon and Strimatt with six barracks. The interned Poles were employed on forest and clearance work. In December 1944, after the Poles had worked on the Sins-Hünenberg road, the Polish camp was disbanded. The barrack village served for a further two months as a camp for interned American airmen.
Under the management of Emil Villiger, the castle ruins were restored and later placed under the protection of the Confederation.
In April, the former Polish camp was used as a penal colony for over 150 interned Italians who had to serve disciplinary detention here.
Shortly before the final disbandment of the former Polish camp, a fire destroyed several huts on 8 April 1946.
Restoration the Gothic church of St. Wolfgang under the supervision of Dr. Linus Birchler. During this work, late 16th or 17th century murals were discovered in the nave. The monstrance turret from 1486 is regarded as one of the most beautiful in Switzerland.
Construction of the Ehret A schoolhouse together with the first gymnasium in Hünenberg.
The Bishop of Basel commissioned the erection of a parish Rector's Office in Hünenberg and the building of a church.
New schoolhouse built at Kemmatten (kindergarten building).
The Giessen sewage plant came into service. The music school started to operate.
Industrialisation began in Hünenberg. Hünenberg had a population of 1'850.
The "Wart" was renovated. The painter, Hans Baggenstos, renovated the facade.
First turf dug for the church and community centre in Maihölzli. The Ehret B upper secondary schoolhouse was inaugurated with a children's party. The forest cemetery was prepared and came into service.
The Hünenberg Catholic vicarage was built. Markus Fischer was installed as the first Hünenberg parish priest. Inauguration of the community centre and the "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall.
The Zug Cantonal Bank erected a new building in the centre. The new Municipal Administration also built new offices there. A post office and various food shops also opened.
The Kemmatten primary school was inaugurated. The pavilion no longer needed here was transferred to the Ehret area.
Marianne Reifers was installed in Hünenberg as the first Reform Vicar,. A pavilion was set up in Zentrumstrasse to serve as a church.
The "Rony" primary school was inaugurated and 13 primary classes moved in. For the first time, a village market was held in the "Dorfgässli" (Village Lane). The Municipal Library and Games Library were opened.
Ruth Odermatt-Zimmermann became the first woman to sit on the Municipal Council.
In a referendum on 25 June 1990, the people of Hünenberg voted overwhelmingly in favour of building a triple gymnasium. On 3 September 1990 and 15 April 1991, the Municipal Residents' Meeting adopted the revised site plan. In September, the renovated Matten schoolhouse was inaugurated. In October, the first turf was cut for the workshop and the fire station in Zentrumstrasse.
The Post moved to a new Post Office building in Eichengasse. A vote on 17 May showed a relatively big majority in favour of building a triple gymnasium in Zentrumstrasse.
On 13 November, after two years of building, the workshop and fire station were inaugurated. The voters had approved the credit of approximately 10.9 million francs for this double construction on 24 June 1991. The project was implemented by the architect Erich Weber of Hünenberg.
Father Markus Fischer was transferred to Solothurn as Cantonal Canon.
The renovated public swimming-pool came into service for the 1994 bathing season. On 24 September, the new triple gymnasium - the first hall of this size in the Canton of Zug -was officially inaugurated. Once again, it was the Hünenberg architect, Erich Weber, who had been responsible for this project. The total costs for the halls amounted to 7.34 million francs. Dr. Peter Bieri became the first Hünenberger ever to be elected to the Upper Chamber of the Swiss Parliament. Municipal Councillor Dr. Urs Birchler became the first Hünenberger to preside the Zug Cantonal Government.
The Hünenberg tennis club built tennis courts and a club-house on land owned by the Municipality between Dersbachstrasse and the main railway line. The Hünenberg Council planted 5'553 running metres of new hedges and 50 field trees to mark European Nature-Conservation year in 1995.
First turf cut and building began on the Protestant Reformed Church centre in Zentrumstrasse. On 4 March followed the turf-cutting for the expansion of the Ehret school complex and the new Rothusstrasse. On 27 and 28 September, the new Reussbrücke in the Zollweid was opened to traffic with great pomp.
Three anniversaries were celebrated on 29 June with a big lake and swimming-pool party: 60 years for the swimming-pool, 30 years for the Dersbach and Seematt districts and 10 years for the Boot Yard. On 1 October, Hünenberg was the first Zug municipality to go on the Internet.
On 22 June, the new Protestant Reformed church centre, planned by architect Willi Egli of Zurich, was inaugurated. On 15 November, the renovated and expanded "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall and the new village square were solemnly opened to the public and, at the same time, the new Ehret C schoolhouse was inaugurated.
Two beach volleyball courts were added to the Hünenberg swimming-pool greatly enhancing its attraction. The Municipality of Hünenberg participated in the Public Assembly of Zug under the motto "Metropolitan Hünenberg". For the first time, the two communities of Sins and Hünenberg celebrate the National Holiday together on the Zollweid. The Municipal Council meeting of 14 December approved the construction loan for the expansion of the Kemmatten school complex. Hünenberg became a "community of Europe". The public joined Walter Suter in celebrating the second Hünenberg President of the Cantonal Government.
The traditional Saturday market was again moved from the Dorfgässli to the village square in front of the "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall. On 8 April, Max Bütler, the Mayor, welcomed Hünenberg's 7'000th inhabitant. On 1 May, the locals threw a big party to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the detachment of the Municipality of Hünenberg from the Municipality of Cham as well as its membership of the Council of European Municipalities. For the first time, the European flag was raised in Hünenberg. On 3 May, the turf was cut for the expansion of the Kemmatten school complex. A popular festival was held on 26 June to celebrate "20 years of the Hünenberg centre" with the Municipal Council, the Zug Cantonal Bank, Primo and Limacher's butcher shop. Marcel Scherer, Stadelmatt, was the first Hünenberger be elected to the Lower House of the Swiss Parliament.
In the Spring, the Municipal Council presented its model entitled "Lively Hünenberg" which contained various visions, strategies and guiding principles that were meant to pave the way for the Municipality in the future. On 24 June, Lindenplatz was solemnly inaugurated in its new guise by the Hünenberg Corporation with the participation of the Residents' Council. On 23 August, the book entitled "Der Hünenberger Mattenboden", by Dr. Adolf A. Steiner and published by the Residents' Council was launched. For the first time, two lady citizens of Hünenberg managed to reach their 100th birthday. In September, the new Kemmatten schoolhouse was opened with an official festival. On 27 October, the first turf was cut at the start of another round of Municipal building projects - the new library and Games Library. The Christmas illuminations were increased and for the first time also put up in Kemmatten. For the first time, a non-stop chain of lights connected the village and Kemmatten parts of the Municipality over the Christmas period.
At the end of May, the renovation work was successful completed on the Residents Registration Office building and this was celebrated with an open doors day and many attractions. On 27 October, a big party was held to inaugurate the new Library and Games Library at 2 Einhornweg. The pending revision of the village plan was successfully started in November with the participation of the local inhabitants at two workshops, one of which was held in Kemmatten and the other in the village. The Municipal Council meeting on 10 December granted a credit for the construction of a sports facility and a leisure and recreational building. At the end of December, the sewage treatment plant in Giessen was shut down. Sewage will again be channelled through Schönau sewage plant in Lindencham.
Our entire social and political life has this year been accompanied by guest painter Alfons Bürgler from Steinen who captured it in his pictures. The «guest painter» project had been initiated by the Local Council and taken up by the Local Cultural Group. Painter Alfons Bürger is quite happy to have people look over his shoulder in his studio in the Maihoelzlisaal and he also ran projects with individual school classes in connection with his painting. He rounded his work in Hünenberg off at the beginning of December with a large exhibition of his pictures.
The renovation and renewal of the sewage systems were finally completed after approximately two-years' construction work. The waste water from Hünenberg is now channelled by the Lake Zug, Lake Küssnacht and Lake Aegeri Region Water-Protection Association (GVRZ) into the Schönau purification plant in Friesencham. On Saturday 27 April, there was an Open Day at the Giessen und Burg pumping plants.
At the end of April, Beda Boos, the first Hünenberg municipal foreman, was able to retire after 32 years' work. His successor is Max Imholz. After 14 years as Chairman of the Town Council, Max Bütler announced that he would be retiring at the end of the year. The former Local Councillor and Vice-Chairman, Hans Gysin, was elected as his successor.
On 3 June, the first sod was cut for the new sports and leisure buildings in Ehret and the Hünenberg Football Club was consequently launched in October. The unfavourable weather since the end of August retarded completion of the football pitch. The sports and leisure building, however, could still be completed for Christmas.
On June 29, the municipality of Hünenberg presented a varied programme on the lake promenade in the suburbs on the occasion of the cantonal celebrations of the 650th anniversary of the Canton of Zug joining the Swiss Confederation. Great inter-est was shown above all in the specially-designed water organ, a harmony of water, light and song, which almost served as a replacement for the missing firework display.
This Summer, a Hünenberg delegation participated in the well-known Thursday television card game «Donnschtig Jass» on the DRS channel. The big live transmission went out on 8th August from the place in Zollweid, after the Hünenberg jass players had beaten the competition from Neuheim on a trip to St. Niklaus in Valais. Several thousand people made this wonderful August evening into a true popular celebration and an unforgettable experience.
The planning commission set up by the Local Council began its work at the beginning of August. The local planning revision was discussed at ten meetings. In November/December the local community was invited to attend two workshops. The result of these workshops was used in the further planning. The local planning revision is expected to be completed in 2004.
In early October, the first grape harvest took place in the municipal vineyard near the municipal vineyard chapel. More than 40 people declared their interest in helping in the municipal grape harvest.
At the end of October, a delegation representing the Local Council and the Hünenberg churches paid a visit to the Slovak city of Banska Stiavnica with which Municipality of Hünenberg is to be twinned in connection with its affiliation to the Council of European Municipalities and Regions.
On 20 December, the Hünenberg City Councillor, Walter Suter, was for the second time after 1998, elected Landammann or President of the Canton of Zug.
Throughout the year, we ran the slogan «clean Hünenberg» involving various activities meant to sensitise the community to caring for the environment and correctly disposing of waste. On 24th May, the new skate park and playground were opened to the youngsters. At the Municipality Meeting of 23rd June, voters agreed to the building of a park-and-ride facility at the new Zythus metropolitan railway station and voted a contribution of up to CHF 400'000.- to the building of a new Scout house. The wine from the municipal vineyard was tasted for the first time at the Chaeppelifaescht on 29th June. In July, the Local Council decided to officially twin up with the friendly Slovak city of Banska Stiavnica. The «summer of the century» brought the attractive Hünenberg public swimming pool a record number of visitors. The recently-built pavilion at the Kemmatten school complex could be put into service after the summer holidays. The new Hünenberg FC leisure and sports building in Ehret was handed over on 12nd September during the municipal sports prize-giving ceremony. Due to weather-related building delays, the inauguration of the new football pitch had to be postponed to Spring 2004. The local planning revision was resumed, inter alia, with a further workshop for the community. On 25th November, the Local Council adopted the local planning revision for preliminary examination by the Building Authorities of the Canton of Zug. It will be submitted to the community at the end of 2004. The Local Council will set up a finance committee at the end of the year to provide support in financial matters.
In mid-April, the new footbridge over the Drälikerstrasse was opened to the public. This elegant overpass construction replaces the 12-year-old provisional structure at the south-eastern entrance to the town. The 85th Zug Canton Wrestling Games took place on Rony School Grounds on 24 April. The Ehret Sports Centre with its new football pitch was officially opened on 8 May. At the same time, the entire canton celebrated its zäme ("together") cultural event. On 19 June, against the background of the traditional Saturday market, an official ceremony was held to mark the foundation of a twinning arrangement with the Slovakian town of Banska Stiavnica. On 29 June, Hünenberg's 8,000th inhabitant, in the person of Melchior Limacher, was formally made welcome. At the council meeting held in June, a budget deficit of approx. CHF 117,000 was noted - this for the first time since 1958. At the beginning of September, a forty-plus delegation visited the twin town of Banska Stiavnica and attended the official signing of the twinning certificate. At the end of September, Father Markus Fischer, the longstanding Catholic parish priest took his well-earned retirement. Over the weekend of 22 - 24 October, the Hünenberg Music Society celebrated its new instruments with a grand fete. In November, Hünenberg was awarded the highly sought-after "Energy Town Label". At the ballot held on 28 November, the citizens of Hünenberg approved the local planning revision bill and the Enikon-Eichmatt-Zythus development plan. Jointly drawn up by the councils of Cham and Hünenberg, this concept is aimed at facilitating higher standards of quality when new housing is built in the future. Also planned is the construction of a communal school building. On 11 December, to the accompaniment of a large-scale festival across the entire canton, the Zug Metro Railway was inaugurated. In Hünenberg itself, we celebrated the opening of the new metro station at Zythus. Since 12 December 2004, then, Hünenberg - via the stations at Zythus and Chämleten - has been connected to the national and international rail networks. Finally, at the council meeting of 13 December 2004, the delegates voted to introduce a speed limit in four of the town's districts.
On 26 February, a communal skiing day was held for the third time. On 11 June, the newly rehabilitated Reuss Dam (including ecological improvements) was officially inaugurated - only to face its baptism of fire just a few weeks later when, from 21 to 23 August, the area was hit by a huge storm and torrential rain. It was in connection with the Reuss Dam rehabilitation project that a landscape development plan was also initiated, to be implemented by an association especially set up for the purpose. On 14 September 2004, the Energy Town Label Committee (appointed by the Swiss Federal Energy Office) had announced the award of the "Energy Town Label" to the municipality of Hünenberg and the official presentation duly took place in the village square on 30 May 2005.
On 25 June, the Hünenberg Scouts inaugurated their new "HQ" on Rigistrasse, the land for which - and a not inconsiderable sum - had been made available by the Hünenberg community. At the beginning of July 2005, following the opening of the Park & Ride facility at Zythus Metro Railway Station, a second P&R facility was commissioned at the Hünenberg Swimming Centre. At the same time, a parking management system was introduced across the Hünenberg municipality.
From 7 to 17 July, our festival park was host to the Swiss Crossbow Championships with approximately 1,300 bow-men and bow-women from the whole of Switzerland taking part. Meanwhile, the Local Planning Review 2004 was formally approved by the Regional Council on 12 July, coming into effect as of 23 August 2005. Several smaller controversial items were omitted. In October, Hünenberg's first 30-kph zone was established in the Dersbach district.
On 12 September, an additional post office was opened at the Bösch/Rothus business park, initially for a one-year trial period. Three weeks later, on 4 October, the ground-breaking ceremony for the building of the new Eichmattstrasse road took place. The construction is a joint venture with the municipality of Cham for the district of Kemmatten (including two access roads).
The 18th of November saw the first ever Associations Fair for the entire population. As its name suggests, all the various associations and institutions in Hünenberg were given the opportunity to present themselves to interested citizens.
On 4 December, Hünenberg - with a number of special performances - was guest municipality at the traditional Märlisunntig (a children's festival) in the City of Zug. On 12 December 2005, the council meeting approved a competition award for the building of a joint school building with the municipality of Cham in the Eichmatt area. Last but not least, the council also passed the forward-looking project of "School Plus", a project which will oversee a number of innovations in Hünenberg's schools, namely, extended core times, an all-day school and the provision of supplementary supervision in terms of school lunches and after-school care.
A cycle tour through the district for the whole population was held for the first time on 3 June. A visit to the landscape development area of Reuss in the vicinity of the Chamau was built into this cycle tour. On 15 July, a big party was held to open the Eichmattstrasse, which was built together with the Commune of Cham. Extended hours of attendance, with additional tutored after-school activities, were introduced in Hünenberg's schools on 21 August, at the beginning of the 2006-07 school year. On 25 October, Hünenberg took part in the Zug Fair as this year's Commune of Honour, presenting the fair's many visitors with a very varied programme. On 29 November, the Commune presented its first documentary film about Hünenberg, entitled Living Close to Nature Near the Centre, as a part of its location marketing project. The film was funded jointly by the pubic and private sectors. On 4 December, Dr. Peter Bieri, the State Councillor who lives in Hünenberg, was elected to serve as the new President of the Council of States. A big party was held in his honour on 6 December in Hünenberg, attended by the Federal Councillor Pascal Couchepin, representatives from the Confederation and the Canton and other invited guests. At the Communal Assembly on 11 December, the school building planned together with the Commune of Cham passed one more hurdle when the planning credit was approved. Earlier, the "am Hang" design, submitted by an architectural office from Zürich, was chosen as the winner of a competition that had attracted some 60 entries. In December, the construction department moved into new offices on the attic floor of the Town Hall. This enabled the communal administration's space problems to be alleviated to a certain extent.
Culture in Place, an event organised by the Hünenberg Arts & Culture Group, was held for the tenth time in the Meienberg Brick Factory.
The keynote speaker at our celebrations for the Swiss National Holiday (Bundesfeier) was Dr Peter Bieri, our President of the Council of States.
The two municipalities of Cham and Hünenberg approved building finance credit for the Eichmatt Schoolhouse, a joint project.
To cultivate further the friendship between Hünenberg and Banská Štiavnica, a large group travelled to the twinned town where a photo exhibition initiated by Hünenberg Community was to be opened. Photographer Andreas Busslinger presented pictures of our community. Dr Josef Aregger, the Swiss Ambassador to the Slovakian Republic, was also in attendance.
The municipality issued invitations to a first info event entitled Hünenberg Helps and to an Apéro Buffet for Volunteers in the Heinrich von Hünenberg Hall. Municipal representatives were on hand to introduce the aid projects so supported.
Emergency archaeological excavations carried out on the site of the planned Eichmatt Schoolhouse unearthed a number of findings from the Iron Age and the Roman Era.
In the course of work on restoring the castle ruins, a set of Roman coins was also discovered (to everyone's surprise).
The Municipal Assembly approved a credit of CHF 3.5 million for the Lindenpark Senior Citizens' Centre.
Sonnhaldenstrasse and St Wolfgangstrasse were the last areas to be declared 30 kph speed limit zones, which means in effect that the speed limit of 30 kph (or 20 kph in the traffic-calmed zones where pedestrians have right of way) has now been introduced throughout Hünenberg.
The Community Appreciation and Sponsorship Awards were conferred for the first time. The Appreciation Award was presented to the Hünenberg Contact Association for its great volunteer work and social commitment in the district. The Sponsorship Award, which comes endowed with CHF 5,000, went to Michael Werder, the young film-maker from Hünenberg.
On 1 September, the new postal address of "6333 Hünenberg See" came into effect for those Hünenberg households in the lake area with the former postal address of "6330 Cham".
By the end of March, church services were again being held at St Wolfgang's, following completion of extensive restoration work on the 16th century murals.
As the result of changes made to the police law, the municipalities have been responsible for public order since the beginning of 2008. In cooperation with Municipality of Cham, civil patrols were introduced in public parks and squares from April to October.
In April, the Third Hünenberg Trade Fair "HünA" took place with 45 exhibitors displaying their wares both inside and outside the Heinrich von Hünenberg Hall.
Within the framework of the fitness campaign entitled "Switzerland on the Move", Hünenberg faced a duel with the Municipality of Baar. The goal was to clock up as many movement hours as possible – with Baar just winning!
The finals of the Swiss Youth Music Competition took place in Hünenberg in the middle of May. Three hundred young adults from all over Switzerland took part, playing to an exceptionally high standard of music.
For the month of June, our twin town of Banská Štiavnica staged a photo exhibition in Hünenberg with many memorable images. The Slovakian Ambassador attended the opening ceremony in person. Following his year as President of the Council of States, Dr Peter Bieri – a resident of Hünenberg – was awarded the Freedom of the Town by the Municipal Assembly.
With the start of the new school year, an all-day school was opened in Matten, a first for Hünenberg as a whole.
To mark the tenth anniversary of the Arts & Culture Group, a travelling theatre under the direction of Livio Andreina (Lucerne) visited six different buildings. In that process, the entire Council was to establish itself as a theatre group.
The comedian Michael Elsener, who comes from Hünenberg, was awarded the Petit Prix Walo as Best New Artist 2008 in Switzerland for his first solo programme.
At the beginning of December, the new Swiss Rail double track between Cham and Rotkreuz was inaugurated. This means that the Metro Rail trains from Zythus Station to Zug and Rotkreuz can run at 15-minute intervals.
The municipalities of Cham, Risch and Hünenberg are to cooperate jointly on issues such as site development, location marketing and business affairs. The three municipalities will thus form a new economic region under the brand of ZUGWEST, with the Municipal Assembly on December approving the foundation of the ZUGWEST Association and membership of Hünenberg in this association. The same goes for Cham and Risch.
For the tenth time during the Advent and Christmas period, a Lichterweg ("Illuminated Way") was created over the Hubel to Kemmatten.
Following an Open Day at the new Lindenpark Senior Citizens' Centre, December saw the first residents move into their special apartments. The nursing care section had opened there at the start of 2009.
The Community Appreciation Award was presented mid-January to Richard Balmer, the former schoolhouse caretaker who has now been active for 40 years as a development aid worker in Tanzania. This time round, the Sponsorship Award went to Michael Elsener, the up-and-coming comedy star.
At the end of January, the Municipal Council published the results of the community survey carried out in the early summer of 2008 – the "Community Thermometer". In that process, approx. 600 persons gave high marks to the Hünenberg authorities. For 93% of the respondents, the unspoiled natural countryside is Hünenberg's most significant attribute. Further important reasons given as to the quality of life in Hünenberg included the feeling of security in the residential areas, the central position, the opportunity for personal privacy, and the contact with friends and neighbours. In addition to those location factors, the respondents also rated highly the relaxed social climate in the community and the services provided by the municipal administration. The most serious concerns for Hünenberg citizens are settlement trends, environment quality, traffic congestion and road safety. However, on the basis of the survey results, the Municipal Council also discovered that there was a need for action in terms of dialogue and communication. Almost 25% of the respondents indicated that they felt poorly informed about municipal operations. From mid-2010 onwards, therefore, a Community Newsletter is to be delivered to each household free of charge.
On 3 April, the first baseball park in Switzerland to meet the regulations of the International Federation was opened in Rony. The park will now serve the Hünenberg Unicorns Baseball & Softball Club as the home ground.
The municipal administration's new logo was introduced at the Village Market on 2 May and 500 bars of chocolate embossed with the new design were distributed.
On 9 May, the Chamerstrasse 11 Centre celebrated its 30th Anniversary – along with the representatives from the municipal administration, the Zuger Kantonalbank and the Limacher Butcher Company. Various formations from Hünenberg Music School accompanied the festive occasion and soundly demonstrated their capabilities. Family Day with lots of different games was also held along the Chamerstrasse, which was closed to traffic, while the sports clubs took the opportunity to perform to a broader mix of spectators than usual.
On 6 June, the Hünenberg Corporation invited the local population to view the newly restored castle ruins after two years of building activity. An atmospheric Medieval Market with attractions for young and old, an exhibition of related archaeological findings and guided tours of the castle drew large crowds.
In June, a Hünenberg secondary school class under the leadership of Walter Röthlin spent a week camping in our twinned town of Banská Štiavnica. Activities involving the town-twinning scheme are now being coordinated by the Banská Štiavnica Town Twinning Association.
The Green Park as fixed in the zoning plan for the Bösch-Rothus Industrial Estate was inaugurated on 2 September. This elegant recreation park offers a beautiful panorama over Lake Zug and the mountains.
In October, the Governing Council placed the area of Rüssweiden along the Chamau Reuss Embankment under cantonal protection.
On 21 November, the two municipalities of Cham and Hünenberg officially opened the co-built Eichmatt Schoolhouse. Situated on the border between the two towns, the new building was the first schoolhouse of this size in Switzerland to comply with the Minergie-P standard. The largest solar energy panel in the Canton of Zug is to be found on the roof.
For the first time within the framework of the Community Awards, it was decided to honour individuals engaged in voluntary activities. Thus, in mid-January, the Appreciation Award went to the Hünenberg Samichlaus Group, a charitable association inspired by the traditional St Nicolas figure, and the Sponsorship Award was presented to singer Yasmine-Mélanie, who also comes from Hünenberg,
On 25 January, building work began on the access road to the new biomass power plant in the Fildern that is to be constructed by Hünenberg Corporation and the Hünenberg Electrical Cooperative Society. Building work on the central heating plant began on 15 March. Thanks to this new heating supply, the Council plans to save approx. 500 tonnes of CO2 a year.
The Rony Schoolhouse celebrated its 25th anniversary in the middle of April with a Games Day for the schoolchildren.
After Yasmine-Mélanie picked up the Petit Prix Walo award in 2009, this year on 17 April she was awarded the coveted Grand Prix Walo in the Swiss pop song category.
The first issue of the new Hünenberg Municipality Newsletter was published on 20 May, entitled Einblick or "Insight". This community information leaflet is to be delivered free of charge to each household four times a year.
On 21 May, the new leisure park alongside the Weinrebenkapelle was inaugurated.
Commissioned by the Municipality of Hünenberg, the VoiceSteps Musical School gave an open-air concert in the Amphitheatre of Banská Štiavnica, our Slovakian twin town, on 15 July.
A total of 67 employees from Hünenberg Municipal Administration made a 200-metres-long Barefoot Trail outside Hünenberg Lido – this was on 2 September as part of a Further Training Day.
Following the Municipal Council Elections on 3 October, Regina Hürlimann was elected President of the Municipality, the first time in the history of Hünenberg that a woman has held this office.
At the Municipal Assembly which took place on 13 December, the sum of CHF 1.9 million was approved for the building of a new youth club.
Do you want to find out more about the interesting history of Hünenberg? Then, read the book "Hünenberg - History and stories of a Zug community" by Anne-Mary Setz-Frey, Ueli Ess and Klaus Meyer, published by the Hünenberg Residents' Council (expanded reprint 1998). The book can be obtained for CHF 30.- from the Residents' Registration Office or can be ordered by calling +41 41 784 44 44.