Navigation on English

Content Navigation


Sickness, Accidents and Birth

Sickness, Accidents and Birth

Compulsory health insurance covers ambulant treatment by doctors and chiropractors and includes prescribed medication, psychotherapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy, admission to the general wards of the hospitals in the canton of residence and in a hospital of another canton (if this is necessary for specific treatment or in the case of an emergency). Furthermore benefits include Spitex services and nursing home costs as medical rehabilitation. Basic health insurance does not cover dental treatment unless it is linked to serious illness. Compulsory health insurance also covers the medical costs of insured persons abroad.

Employees working more than 8 hours per week are insured by their employer against accidents and occupational disease. Premiums for non-occupational accidents are generally paid by the employee and deducted from his salary. All other individuals (including spouses and children) need to arrange accident insurance in addition to their health insurance).
Please inquire with your employer to find out to what extent you are insured against accidents, especially if you work part-time. If you do discover any areas where you are not covered, a private insurance, e.g. your health insurance, could provide cover for such gaps.

For more information on accident and occupational insurance see link to

Pregnancy and Birth
The mother: The basic insurance covers costs for routine examinations* during pregnancy and at the time of the birth. Following birth, the basic insurance covers the cost of a post-natal examination and the costs for up to a maximum of three breast-feeding advisory sessions. (*Please check with your doctor or directly with your insurance provider.)

When the child is born: The costs of hospital and care for the newborn baby incurred during the stay in hospital are at the expense of the mother's insurance (without cost-sharing). However, if the newborn child becomes ill, then the costs are at the expense of the newborn's insurer (with share of the costs).

Once your child is born, you must register the birth in the place of birth. In most cases this is organised by the hospital authorities. If your child is born at home, you must register the birth yourself at the civil register office. The newborn child must be registered with a health insurance company three months after birth at the latest. Insurance cover begins at the moment the child is born.

Information about maternity leave and compensation.

Further informations