Navigation on University of Teacher Education Zug

Content Navigation


Insurance and Visa information

General Information for Incoming students about insurance and Visa

Health, liability and accident insurance

Students must ensure that they are adequately insured and have commensurate cover for costs they may incur during their stay. We recommend that you find out if your health insurance meets the mandatory requirements for basic cover in Switzerland.

We also suggest that you get your health insurer at home to issue you a certificate about your health and accident cover. Students from the European Union who have statutory cover in their home country will need to have the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The obligation to take out insurance from a Swiss provider can be waived if your insurer's cover meets the Swiss standards. If that is not the case, you are required to take out basic cover from a Swiss health insurer.

It may be useful to get liability insurance that covers you while you are abroad.

Visas and entry formalities

In principle, students are responsible for managing the formalities concerning their visas and papers for entering Switzerland. Applications for visas must be submitted in good time to the Swiss Consulate in the home country. As an EU citizen you won't need a visa, but you will need a residence permit, for which you have to register with your municipality in Switzerland 14 days after you enter the country. You will be granted a permit when you can prove that you have sufficient financial resources and adequate accident and health insurance. Please note that the registration fee comes to around CHF 65. The fee might be higher for Non-EU students.

The International Office will inform you in detail about what you need to do when you arrive.

You can find a FAQ about visa, health insurance and other information on the website "Study in Switzerland". For general information regarding entry formalities for Switzerland you can contact the federal administration offices. For more detailed information, summary sheets and forms, we recommend that you contact the relevant cantonal offices.

Information on entering Switzerland
Information on residence permits
Information on living in Canton Zug

Further informations

hidden placeholder