Navigation on Municipality of Hünenberg

Content Navigation


20th century


The Reuss burst its banks in the Chamau district. With all its might, the water streamed over the land and transformed the area between Chamau and Reussspitz into a lake.

The sad drama recurred in June. The Reuss again burst its banks and caused considerable damage.

Work started on building a dam on the Reuss. The large stones necessary for this were recovered from the Goldau landslide during the early stages of construction.

The new Reuss dam was completed. The cost amounted to 2 million francs. The Reuss dam has prevented the Reuss from flooding or bursting its banks to this day.

The "Wart" was restored to its present-day look. The facade was painted with a mural by Heinrich Appenzeller.

The Matten schoolhouse was built for around CHF 7'800.--. On 2 September 1934, it was solemnly inaugurated. After the lifting of the stewardship on 17 February 1798, the small hamlet of St. Wolfgang remained the territory of the City of Zug. The Zug Municipal Residents' Council, at a meeting on 30 December 1934, decided to transfer the hamlet of St. Wolfgang to the Municipality of Hünenberg at the request of the people of Hünenberg. From this point and until 1958, 50% of the public revenue from the former enclave of St. Wolfgang went to the City of Zug. From 1958 on, the people of Zug gave up this share of the tax, which by 1957 still amounted to CHF 624.10.

Opening of the first swimming-pool in Kemmatten on 20 June 1937.

1940 – 1944
Inauguration of the Mühlau bridge, which replaced the last ferry over the Reuss. Now, the road from the Mühlau Bridge had also to be broadened up to the Stadelmatt. On 19/20 June 1940, over 12'000 Polish officers and soldiers were transferred to neutral Swiss territory. These interned Poles were accommodated in decentralised work-camps. One of the camps was also in Hünenberg. Here, a camp was built between Drälikon and Strimatt with six barracks. The interned Poles were employed on forest and clearance work. In December 1944, after the Poles had worked on the Sins-Hünenberg road, the Polish camp was disbanded. The barrack village served for a further two months as a camp for interned American airmen.
Under the management of Emil Villiger, the castle ruins were restored and later placed under the protection of the Confederation.

In April, the former Polish camp was used as a penal colony for over 150 interned Italians who had to serve disciplinary detention here.

Shortly before the final disbandment of the former Polish camp, a fire destroyed several huts on 8 April 1946.

Restoration of the Gothic church of St. Wolfgang was carried out under the supervision of Dr. Linus Birchler. During this work, late 16th or 17th century murals were discovered in the nave. The monstrance tabernacle from 1486 is regarded as one of the most beautiful in Switzerland.

Construction of the Ehret A schoolhouse together with the first gymnasium in Hünenberg.

The Bishop of Basel commissioned the erection of a parish rectory in Hünenberg and the building of a church.

New schoolhouse built at Kemmatten (kindergarten building).

The Giessen sewage plant came into service. The music school started to operate.

The first industrial buildings were erected in Hünenberg Bösch. Hünenberg had a population of 1'850.

The "Wart" was renovated. The painter, Hans Baggenstos, renovated the facade.

First turf dug for the church and community centre in Maihölzli. The Ehret B upper secondary schoolhouse was inaugurated with a children's party. The forest cemetery was prepared and came into service.

The Hünenberg Catholic church was opened. Markus Fischer was installed as the first Hünenberg parish priest. Inauguration of the community centre and the "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall.

The Zug Cantonal Bank erected a new building in the centre. The new Municipal Administration also built new offices there. A post office and various food shops also opened.

The Kemmatten primary school was inaugurated. The pavilion no longer needed here was transferred to the Ehret area.

Marianne Reifers was installed in Hünenberg as the first Protestant Vicar. A pavilion was set up in Zentrumstrasse to serve as a church.

The "Rony" primary school was inaugurated and 13 primary classes moved in. For the first time, a village market was held in the "Dorfgässli" (Village Lane). The Municipal Library and Games Library were opened.

Ruth Odermatt-Zimmermann became the first woman to sit on the Municipal Council.

In a referendum on 25 June 1990, the people of Hünenberg voted overwhelmingly in favour of building a triple gymnasium. On 3 September 1990 and 15 April 1991, the Municipal Residents' Meeting adopted the revised site plan. In September, the renovated Matten schoolhouse was inaugurated. In October, the first turf was cut for the workshop and the fire station in Zentrumstrasse.

The Post moved to a new Post Office building in Eichengasse. A vote on 17 May showed a relatively large majority in favour of building a triple gymnasium in Zentrumstrasse.

On 13 November, after two years of building, the workshop and fire station were inaugurated. The voters had approved the sum of approximately 10.9 million francs for this double construction on 24 June 1991. The project was implemented by the architect Erich Weber of Hünenberg.
Father Markus Fischer was appointed Cantonal Canon for the Bishopric.

The renovated public swimming-pool came into service for the 1994 bathing season. On 24 September, the new triple gymnasium - the first hall of this size in the Canton of Zug -was officially inaugurated. Once again, it was the Hünenberg architect, Erich Weber, who had been responsible for this project. The total costs for the halls amounted to 7.34 million francs. Dr. Peter Bieri became the first person from Hünenberg to be elected to the Upper Chamber of the Swiss Parliament. Municipal Councillor Dr.Urs Birchler became the first Hünenberger to preside the Zug Cantonal Government.

The Hünenberg tennis club built tennis courts and a club-house on land owned by the Municipality between Dersbachstrasse and the main railway line. The Hünenberg Council planted 5'553 running metres of new hedges and 50 field trees to mark European Nature Conservation year in 1995.

First turf cut and building began on the Protestant Reformed Church centre in Zentrumstrasse. On 4 March followed the turf-cutting for the expansion of the Ehret school complex and the new Rothusstrasse. On 27 and 28 September, the new Reussbrücke in the Zollweid was opened to traffic with great pomp.

Three anniversaries were celebrated on 29 June with a big lake and swimming-pool party: 60 years for the swimming-pool, 30 years for the Dersbach and Seematt districts and 10 years for the Boatyard. On 1 October, Hünenberg was the first Zug municipality to go on the Internet.
On 22 June, the new Protestant Reformed church centre, planned by architect Willi Egli of Zurich, was inaugurated. On 15 November, the renovated and expanded "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall and the new village square were solemnly opened to the public and, at the same time, the new Ehret C schoolhouse was inaugurated.

Two beach volleyball courts were added to the Hünenberg swimming-pool facilities, greatly enhancing their attraction. The Municipality of Hünenberg participated in the Public Assembly of Zug under the motto "Metropolitan Hünenberg". For the first time, the two communities of Sins and Hünenberg celebrated the National Holiday together on the Zollweid. The Municipal Council meeting of 14 December approved the construction loan for the expansion of the Kemmatten school complex. Hünenberg became a "community of Europe". The public joined Walter Suter in celebrating his appointment as the second Hünenberg President of the Cantonal Government.

The traditional Saturday market was again moved, from the Dorfgässli to the village square in front of the "Heinrich von Hünenberg" hall. On 8 April, Max Bütler, the Mayor, welcomed Hünenberg's 7000th inhabitant. On 1 May, the locals threw a big party to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the detachment of the Municipality of Hünenberg from the Municipality of Cham as well as its membership of the Council of European Municipalities. For the first time, the European flag was raised in Hünenberg. On 3 May, the turf was cut for the expansion of the Kemmatten school complex. A popular festival was held on 26 June to celebrate "20 years of the Hünenberg centre" with the Municipal Council, the Zug Cantonal Bank, Primo and Limacher's butcher shop. Marcel Scherer, Stadelmatt, was the first Hünenberger be elected to the Lower House of the Swiss Parliament.

Further informations

hidden placeholder